SADDLE BROOK, N.J. -- Firefighters were hampered while waiting for PSE&G to arrive and cut the electricity to a Saddle Brook house that caught fire from sparking utility lines downed when an SUV rammed a pole Friday afternoon.
The male SUV driver was hospitalized with undetermined injuries, and a Saddle Brook police officer was evaluated for heat exhaustion, Lt. John Zotolo told Daily Voice.
Part of the roof of the Saddle River Road house collapsed during the fire, which broke out just before 1:30 p.m., responders said.
The blaze was finally knocked down about an hour and 20 minutes later.
No serious injuries were immediately reported.
A woman who lives there got out with eight of her 10 cats, Zotolo. Police were trying to account for the other two Friday evening.
The lieutenant summoned the Red Cross, which helped place the family and pets.
Firefighters did their best to keep the fire in check while waiting for the electrical crew, responders at the scene said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.