BERGEN COUNTY, N.J. -- The Chinese New Year starts Saturday, Jan. 28, ushering in the year of the rooster, and leaving behind the year of the monkey. The celebration, which lasts for 15 days, is the most important holiday in the Chinese calendar.
For many, it means celebrations including dragon dances, reunions, family dinners and the handing out of red envelopes. For others, it means eating at a Chinese restaurant and debating the meaning of what's written on one's fortune cookie.
Ring in the holiday at some of Bergen County's finest. A sampling follows though feel free to add your own favorites to our Facebook comments.
- Bamboo House, Ridgewood: Angel hair with everything is a top pick at Bamboo House where you'll also find a long list of traditional Chinese dishes. Celebrate the New Year: 28 S. Broad St., (201) 447-3111.
- Baumgart's, Edgewater, Englewood, Ridgewood: The menu veers all over the map but one thing you can be sure of is its solid Chinese food. Celebrate the New Year: 59 The Promenade, Edgewater, (201) 313-3889; 45 E Palisade Ave., Englewood, (201) 569-6267; 158 Franklin Ave., Ridgewood, (201) 612-5688.
- Golden Dynasty, Hillsdale, Franklin Lakes: Yelpers rave about the sophisticated ambiance and the Szechuan and Cantonese dishes, especially the Scorpion Bowl. Celebrate the New Year: 295 Kinderkamack Rd., (201) 358-8685, Hillsdale; 825 Franklin Lake Rd, Franklin Lakes, (201) 891-7866.
- Hanami, Cresskill, Westwood: Talk about a “celebrasian:" Hanami is all about “inspirasian” and “imaginasian" complete with fresh ingredients, imaginative dishes and unique tea blends. Celebrate the New Year: 41 Union Ave., Cresskill, (201) 567-8508; 301 Center Ave., Westwood, (201) 666-8508.
- Look-See, Ramsey: Sushi, sashimi, tempura, teriyaki, and hibachi make up the long list of entree choices along with heart healthy options. Celebrate the New Year: 295 North Franklin Turnpike, (201) 327-1515.
- Lotus Café, Hackensack: An extensive menu of traditional Chinese dishes ensures you'll find something for even the pickiest of eaters. Celebrate the New Year: 450 Hackensack Ave., (201) 488-7070.
- Mr. Wok & Sushi Tenafly: Expect a modern interpretation of classic dishes using high-quality ingredients. Celebrate the New Year: 1 Highwood Ave., (201) 569-3969.
- Yan Asian, Rutherford: There's something for everyone at this Rutherford staple where you'll find a wide array of authentic Japanese, Chinese and Thai food, such as Salmon Roll, General Tso's Chicken, Teriyaki Tofu, and Pad Thai Beef. Celebrate the New Year: 94 Park Ave., (201) 896-1888.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.