SADDLE BROOK, N.J. – No injuries were reported in a Wednesday fire caused by a bolt of lightning that struck a Saddle Brook home setting the roof on fire, authorities told Daily Voice.
The blaze occurred in the midst of the afternoon’s severe thunderstorm.
The Saddle Brook Fire Department was dispatched to the house, located at 266 Oxford Avenue, at 12:35 p.m., and firefighters remained on the scene for just over two hours, Saddle Brook Fire Chief Tom Dickman said.
Lightning struck the house’s chimney, igniting the roof, and damaging the attic crawl space, Dickman said. He said the home sustained some smoke and water damage from extinguishing the fire.
Assistant Fire Chief Christopher Sloma ran the fire scene, he said.
Firefighters from Fair Lawn, Elmwood Park, Garfield and Rochelle Park provided mutual aid to cover Saddle Brook during the fire, he said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.